Ward and Smith, P.A. is pleased to announce that attorney Matthew A. Cordell received the Certified Information Privacy Professional designation for the U.S. private sector ("CIPP/US") through the International Association of Privacy Professionals ("IAPP").
The IAPP is a nonprofit association of privacy professionals with more than 20,000 members around the world. The CIPP is the global standard in information privacy certification and has become the foremost credential in the field. By obtaining the CIPP/US credential, Mr. Cordell demonstrates an acute knowledge of:
Privacy and data security laws, such as HIPAA, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, and others;
- Federal marketing laws and regulations affecting telemarketing calls and commercial emails;
- Enforcement of federal privacy laws and regulations;
- State data security and breach response laws;
- Privacy laws affecting the workplace; and,
- Key privacy concepts and principles, industry standards, and international norms.
Mr. Cordell works in the Firm's Raleigh office and is leader of the Firm's Privacy and Information Security Law Practice Group. He has been rated by his peers as being "preeminent" in his fields of law and has been recognized in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" and North Carolina Super Lawyers' "Rising Stars." He received his J.D. with honors from The University of North Carolina School of Law in 2007.