Ward and Smith, P.A. is pleased to announce that Matt Cordell was named Chair of the Young Lawyers Division ("YLD") of the North Carolina Bar Association ("NCBA") at the 2016 NCBA Annual Meeting in Charlotte, NC.
- The YLD has 6,400 + members (including law students) and is comprised of all lawyers age 35 and under or in their first five years of practice (regardless of age). The YLD is the largest division of the NCBA.
- Cordell began as a volunteer in the YLD in 2007, then served as a Committee Chair for three years, then as a Division Director for two years, then as Chair-Elect for a year (elected in 2015).
- His participation in the YLD also has provided him with several opportunities to offer pro bono services to the community, including the NCBA's Project Grace, Wills for Heroes, and Disaster Legal Services.
- Cordell's teams have also won multiple Awards of Achievement from the American Bar Association in recognition of their outstanding work.
- He also has served on the NCBA Strategic Planning Committee for five years, the NCBA Foundation's Endowment Committee for one year, and the NCBA Succession Planning Committee for one year. He is a delegate to the American Bar Association for the NCBA YLD. He is a frequent speaker for numerous NCBA-sponsored educational events.
Cordell has been recognized by Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite," North Carolina's Super Lawyers "Rising Stars," and the 2012 "Young Lawyer of the Quarter" by the NCBA. He received his J.D. with honors from The University of North Carolina School of Law in 2007.