Ward and Smith, P.A.'s Life Sciences Practice Group spans the breadth of the life sciences industry to provide comprehensive legal services to clients in sectors that include biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, agricultural biotechnology, animal health, marine sciences and aquaculture, food science and nutritional products, and industrial biotechnology. Our attorneys and professionals have represented a wide range of clients, including world class research universities, start-ups, established biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, private equity and venture capital groups, trade associations, nonprofit organizations, government entities, and political committees.
The scope of our representation includes a broad range of legal services, including:
- Company organization;
- Employment and consulting agreements;
- Patent, trademark, and copyright applications;
- Strategic management of global patent and trademark portfolios;
- Intellectual property audits and due diligence;
- Patent-related opinions (patentability, validity, infringement, and freedom-to-operate);
- Collaborative and sponsored research agreements;
- Licensing agreements;
- Confidentiality agreements, material transfer agreements, and procurement/service contracts;
- Angel capital, venture capital, and private placements of debt and equity securities;
- Mergers and acquisitions;
- Public securities offerings;
- Corporate governance matters;
- Government policy intervention;
- State and federal budget analysis and advocacy;
- Regulatory and legislative monitoring;
- Strategic public communications and planning;
- Legal advice related to government ethics, campaign finance, and procurement regulation compliance; and,
- Coordinating economic incentives at the city, county, and state level.
The attorneys in our Life Sciences Practice Group frequently draw upon the skills and experience of attorneys in other practice groups, including Intellectual Property, Business, Government Relations, Economic Development, Education, Labor and Employment, Environmental, Securities, Litigation, Agribusiness, and Health Care.