Drake works with entities and individuals in transactions involving commercial real property. A substantial portion of his practice is focused on representing both landlords and tenants in commercial lease negotiations for a wide variety of spaces, including office locations, retail centers, industrial facilities, and solar farms. In addition, Drake represents buyers and sellers in negotiating and closing purchases and sales, including tax-deferred exchanges. He also represents developers and investors in all aspects of the land development process, including obtaining land use and zoning entitlements. He also represents borrowers and lenders in financing transactions. Drake also regularly assists clients with real property issues associated with mergers, acquisitions, and company divestitures. Drake's civil engineering background provides practical assistance to clients throughout real estate transactions. He is an accredited Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design associate (LEED AP).
- J.D., Campbell Law School, 2006. Articles Editor, Campbell Law Review; Case Summary Writer, Campbell Law Observer; Campbell Law Moot Court; Order of Old Kivett.
- B.S., magna cum laude, Civil Engineering, North Carolina State University, 2002
- Representation of an international company in the sale of approximately 25,000 acres and related improvements with a value of approximately $240 million
- Representation of an investor in the sale of a multi-family property with a value of approximately $20 million, and utilizing a 1031 exchange to purchase a multi-family property with a similar value
- Representation of a developer in a multi-parcel assemblage for development of a large-scale, multi-tenant shopping center
- Representation of an operating company in a three-party transaction, which included a governmental entity, involving a simultaneous land exchange to obtain site for expansion
- Representation of an anchor office tenant in lease negotiations for premises located in a to-be-constructed building
- Representation of a manufacturer in a sale-leaseback transaction involving a long term triple net lease associated with a 10+ acre site and related improvements
- Representation of a multi-campus private school in multiple lease negotiations for sites in retail shopping centers throughout North Carolina
- Representation of real estate investors on 1031 exchange planning and transactions
- Representation of a cellular service provider in multiple counties to obtain special use permits for the installation of cellular towers
Honors and Distinctions*
- "The Best Lawyers in America," Best Lawyers®, 2020-2022
- "Rising Star," North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2011
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Greenville ENC Alliance (secretary)
- Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce (Leadership Greenville Alumnus, Class of 2015)
- North Carolina Bar Association — Sections: Business Law; Real Property Law
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 2006
- All state courts in North Carolina
- United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
Highlights + Insights
Can't Find Enough Cash Flow In the Stock Market? Maybe a "Triple-Net Lease" Is Your Answer
Low-Income Housing Tax Credits - Introduction
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.