Joanne's practice emphasizes the representation of banks and other financial institutions in commercial loan transactions involving asset-based and real estate secured loans, including new construction, multi-family, mixed use, retail, hotel, and healthcare related projects. She also represents real estate developers and business owners in connection with acquisition, disposition, planning, financing, construction, and leasing negotiations. Joanne's representation has further included the representation of developers and housing authorities in connection with tax credit developments of multifamily and affordable housing.
Joanne regularly advises clients on a broad range of business law matters, including the formation and structuring of new businesses and investment entities, business transfers and acquisitions, asset purchase and sale transactions, and contract drafting and negotiation.
Joanne's unique combination of experience in commercial lending, development, real estate, and business law allows her to provide sound guidance to her clients in connection with a broad range of legal issues. Clients find her knowledge of these processes beneficial when navigating these frequently complex waters, and they rely on her to focus on the smallest details of their transactions while never losing sight of the big picture.
- J.D., with honors, Quinnipiac University School of Law, 2008. Articles Editor, Quinnipiac Health Law Journal.
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2003.
Honors and Distinctions*
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers®, 2020-2024
- "Legal Elite Hall of Fame, Business North Carolina, Real Estate Law, 2023
- "Legal Elite," Business North Carolina, Real Estate Law, 2023
- "Lawyer of the Year," The Best Lawyers in America, 2023
- "Rising Star," North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2018
Professional and Community Affiliations
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce (Leadership Asheville Alumna, Class XXXIV)
- Buncombe County Boys & Girls Club (Advisory Council Member)
- Community Foundation of Western North Carolina (Board Member)
- North Carolina Bar Association — Real Property Section Council Member 2016-2019
- Western North Carolina Real Estate Foundation (Board Member)
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 2008
- Connecticut, 2008
- New York, 2009
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.