John's practice experience encompasses various areas of litigation. He has represented many clients in personal injury and wrongful death cases and has obtained multi-million dollar verdicts in these types of cases. Other areas of his litigation practice in Greenville and Wilmington include representation of clients in business and corporate litigation and in family law, with an emphasis on equitable distribution cases involving significant and complex assets.
John is certified by the North Carolina State Bar as a Board Certified Specialist in Family Law.
- J.D., Wake Forest School of Law, 1975. Associate Editor, Wake Forest Law Review.
- B.A., with high honors, North Carolina State University, 1972
Honors and Distinctions*
- "The Best Lawyers in America," Best Lawyers®, 1995-2022
- "Super Lawyer," North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2006-2021
- "Top 100: North Carolina Super Lawyer," North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2018, 2020
- "Legal Elite," Business North Carolina, 2009, 2020-2021
Professional and Community Affiliations
- American Association for Justice
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice — Sections: Auto Torts, Family Law, Professional Negligence
- North Carolina Bar Association — Sections: Dispute Resolution; Family Law, council member; Litigation
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 1975
- All state courts in North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Middle Districts of North Carolina
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
- Auto Accidents
- Child Custody
- Family Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Liability
- Other Accidents, Injuries + Wrongful Deaths
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Truck + 18-Wheeler Accidents
- Trusts and Estates Litigation
- Water-Related + Other Transportation Accidents
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.