Mary V. Cavanagh
Mary's practice experience encompasses various areas of civil litigation in both the federal and state courts, including commercial, business, appellate, insurance coverage, and personal injury litigation matters. She has drafted appellate briefs to all levels of the state and federal court systems, including the United States Supreme Court. Prior to joining the firm, Mary practiced labor and employment law in Denver, Colorado. Her experience encompassed federal and state court litigation of employment issues, including charges of civil rights discrimination. She has lectured on employment-related topics.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1989
- B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Wake Forest University, 1986
Honors and Distinctions*
- NC Attorney Pro Bono Honor Society Inductee, NC Pro Bono Resource Center, 2021, 2020
Professional and Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 1993
- Colorado, 1989
- All state courts in Colorado
- All state courts in North Carolina
- Colorado Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
Highlights + Insights
Having Election News Withdrawal?
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.