Ward and Smith, P.A. represents a substantial number of public housing authorities, including Ayden, Eastern Carolina Regional, Mid-East Regional, New Bern, and Washington Housing Authorities. Collectively, we have more than 50 years of experience in working with public housing authorities.
The Firm provides both general counsel and special counsel services that public housing authorities may need. We offer a variety of legal services, including:
- Advising the public housing authority's Board of Commissioners on statutory regulation, open meetings, and meeting procedures;
- Establishing nonprofit affiliates and instrumentalities for specific development initiatives;
- Handling tenant evictions and lease enforcement issues;
- Providing contract review and regulatory compliance advice related to low income housing tax credits and bond financing, including coordination with the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency, outside consultants, developers, and construction companies;
- Monitoring North Carolina and federal legislative activities affecting public housing authorities;
- Providing North Carolina and federal legislative lobbying services when appropriate; and,
- Advising public housing authorities on the full range of HUD programs, including the Rental Assistance Demonstration program and the Choice Neighborhoods Initiative grants.
Ward and Smith provides public housing authorities — whether large or small — with the experience and commitment necessary to assist with any legal matter that may arise.
We are your established legal network with offices in Asheville, Greenville, New Bern, Raleigh, and Wilmington, NC.