As leader of the Community Associations practice, Adam advises community association and country club/yacht club boards and members regarding corporate governance, procedural requirements, governing document amendments, fiduciary duties, inspection right, collection issues, and rule adoption and enforcement. He also has experience preparing all components of community association, country club, and yacht club entity formation, including articles of incorporation, bylaws, committee charters, organizational minutes, confidentiality policy, communication policy, and documentation retention policy.
In addition to his community association practice, Adam's general business practice encompasses a broad range of business law and transactional matters, including negotiating and drafting all components of contracts and purchase agreements, including stock, limited liability interest, partnership, and asset purchase agreements and in conducting business and non-profit director, shareholder, and member meetings. He regularly advises business clients regarding corporate governance, procedural requirements, governing document amendments, and fiduciary duties.
Adam also has experience in the preparation of all components of franchise documents for franchisors, including franchise disclosure documents, franchise agreements, master franchise agreements, development agreements and in the preparation and negotiation of business mergers, including articles of merger and plan of merger.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Richmond School of Law, 2001
- B.A., magna cum laude, James Madison University, 1998
Honors and Distinctions*
- "Legal Elite," Business North Carolina, 2013-2014 and 2016
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Boy Scouts of America (board member, Cape Fear Council)
- Communities in Schools (former board member, Cape Fear Region)
- Community Associations Institute, North Carolina Chapter (2020-2023 board member, member, and former member Legislative Action Committee)
- Greater Wilmington Chamber of Commerce (Leadership Wilmington Alumnus, Class of 2008)
- Homeowners Association USA
- Junior Achievement of the Cape Fear (former chairperson of the board)
- New Horizons Elementary School (former board member)
- North Carolina Bar Association — Sections: Business Law; Sports & Entertainment Law
- Nourish NC (former board member)
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 2001
- All state courts in North Carolina
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States Supreme Court
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.