Greg is certified by the National Elder Law Foundation as a Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA). He also is certified by the North Carolina State Bar both as a Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law and as a Board Certified Specialist in Elder Law.
Greg frequently lectures to civic and community groups and at continuing legal education seminars on various topics relating to estate planning and administration and Medicaid planning.
Prior to attending law school, he was a trust officer in Retirement Plan Services for First-Citizens Bank & Trust Company in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- J.D., Wake Forest School of Law,1996. Wake Forest Law Review, Moot Court Board.
- B.S., The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1990
Honors and Distinctions*
- "The Best Lawyers in America," Best Lawyers® 2010-2023
- "Super Lawyer," Super Lawyers, 2017-2022
- "Legal Elite," Business North Carolina, Tax/Estate Planning, 2010, 2013-2016, 2018, 2021-2022
- "Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers®, 2015
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Arendell Parrott Academy (board of trustees 2008-present; executive committee 2010-2012; secretary 2012-2015; vice-president 2016-present)
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- National Elder Law Foundation
- New Bern Area Chamber of Commerce (Leadership Craven Alumnus, Class of 2000)
- North Carolina Bar Association — Sections: Elder & Special Needs Law; Estate Planning & Fiduciary Law
- North Carolina Community Foundation (Craven County affiliate board member 2003-present)
- North Carolina State Bar — Specialty Committee: Estate Planning and Probate Law
- Southeast Fellows Institute of the American College of Trusts and Estate Counsel, Class of '21
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 1996
- All state courts in North Carolina
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.