Bill's practice experience encompasses the formation, regulation, and operation of banks and bank holding companies; securities offerings and reporting; mergers and acquisitions; and corporate governance matters pertaining to publicly-held companies.
Prior to joining the firm, Bill served as vice president and general counsel/corporate secretary for one of North Carolina's multi-bank holding companies.
- J.D., The University of North Carolina School of Law, 1975
- A.B., The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1972
- Representation of two bank holding companies in the course of their separate acquisitions of bank holding companies and their subsidiary banks located in other states
- Representation of two banks in the course of their being acquired by other banks
- Representation of a bank holding company in raising capital through its private sale of preferred stock
- Counseled bank holding companies and banks in their compliance with reporting obligations under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934
- Counseled bank holding companies and banks in their annual shareholder meeting process, including their compliance with proxy solicitation disclosure rules and preparation of disclosures regarding various non-routine voting proposals, including various charter amendments and compensation plans
Honors and Distinctions*
- "The Best Lawyers in America," Best Lawyers®, 2005-2022
- "Super Lawyer," North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2020-2021
- "Legal Elite," Business North Carolina, 2014
Professional and Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association — Section: Business Law
- North Carolina Bankers Association
- North Carolina Bar Association — Section: Business Law
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 1975
- All state courts in North Carolina
Much that I learned in Boy Scouts has served me well as an attorney, particularly the motto…"Be Prepared." The best thing about Ward and Smith is the team approach to client services, and the emphasis on teamwork rather than individual accomplishments.
One surprising thing people don't know about me is that I play keyboards in a classic rock band.
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
Highlights + Insights
New Forgiveness Flexibility for PPP Borrowers
A Few Unanswered Questions About PPP Loan Forgiveness
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.