Charles' practice experience encompasses federal and state court litigation in various areas, including claims for wrongful death and serious personal injury. He has also litigated numerous cases involving complex insurance coverage issues, products liability, and professional malpractice.
Charles is a frequent lecturer and has written extensively on a wide range of litigation topics, including "The Nuts and Bolts of Coverage Under the Homeowner Policy," "Depositions . . . Advanced Civil Procedure," and "Insurance Coverage for Intentional Acts and Punitive Damages."
- J.D., cum laude, Campbell Law School,1983. Campbell University Law Review.
- A.B., The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1980
- Representation of large hospital in substantial recovery (in excess of $2 million) in medical malpractice claim for contribution
- Representation of families in $10 million recovery for wrongful deaths stemming from aircraft collision
- Representation of individual healthcare client in recovery in excess of $6 million for severe injuries received in motor vehicle collision
- Representation of family in substantial recovery (in excess of $1.7 million) in wrongful death medical malpractice claim
- Representation of hospital in recovery of substantial sum (in excess of $4 million) in claim against a professional liability insurance carrier for denial of liability coverage in multiple underlying medical malpractice claims
Honors and Distinctions*
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers®, 1995-2024
- "Super Lawyer," Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Super Lawyers, 2006-2023
- "Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers®, 2013, 2019
- "Legal Elite," Business North Carolina, 2003 and 2013
Professional and Community Affiliations
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association — Sections: Litigation; Tort Trial and Insurance Practice
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Eastern North Carolina Inn of Court
- Lenoir Community College Paralegal Program, Advisory Board of Directors
- Literacy Volunteers of America, Board of Directors: president 1999-2000
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice — Sections: Auto Torts; Professional Negligence
- North Carolina Bar Association — Sections: General Practice; Health Law; Litigation (council member)
- Pitt Community College, Board of Trustees, Chairman
- Pitt Community College Foundation, Board of Directors
- Pitt County Bar Association (past president)
- Pitt County Health Education Foundation, Board of Directors: president 1997-2000
- United Way, Board of Directors, 2016
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 1983
- All state courts in North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Middle Districts of North Carolina
- United States Supreme Court
My personal motto is "Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results."
One surprising thing people don't know about me is that I began my career as a tax attorney.
My favorite fictional character is my cousin Vinny, because of his command of the art of cross examination.
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
- Auto Accidents
- Business Interruption Resources
- Camp Lejeune Water Contamination
- Insurance Counseling and Recovery
- Local Counsel
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Liability
- Other Accidents, Injuries + Wrongful Deaths
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Licensing
- Truck + 18-Wheeler Accidents
- Water-Related + Other Transportation Accidents
Highlights + Insights
For Licensees, Understanding the NC Department of Insurance's Mission is Mission Critical
Understanding the Basics of NCDOI Licensee Complaints
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.