Emily's practice focuses on a wide range of labor and employment law issues, including personnel policies and handbooks, background checks, employment discrimination and harassment, employee discipline and termination, drug and alcohol testing, and various wage and hour matters. Prior to attending law school, Emily counseled clients in various public relations matters during a four-year career with Capstrat, a full-service communications agency.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Campbell Law School, 2017; Editor in Chief, Campbell Law Review; Teaching Scholar, Legal Research & Writing; Member, Campbell Law Moot Court Team; Quarterfinalist, 2015 Richard A. Lord Intramural Moot Court Competition; Quarterfinalist, 2015 Kilpatrick Townsend 1L Mock Trial Competition; 2017 National Association of Women Lawyers Award
- B.A., summa cum laude, North Carolina State University, 2010
- Park Scholar, North Carolina State University, 2006-2010
Honors and Distinctions*
- "Rising Star," North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2021
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Park Scholarships Program
- North Carolina State University Alumni Association
- Alexander Family YMCA Annual Campaign
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce (Leadership Raleigh)
- North Carolina Bar Association - Education Law Section
- Triangle Business Forum
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 2017
- United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.