Payton is a member of the firm's litigation practice group. Her experience encompasses various areas of civil litigation in both the federal and state courts. She assists clients in all aspects of civil litigation, including depositions, hearings, mediations, arbitrations, jury trials, and appeals. Payton advises clients and litigates cases involving all forms of commercial, business, estate, and intellectual property disputes.
Prior to joining the firm, Payton was a summer associate with Ward and Smith. Payton also served as an extern with the Honorable Judge John M. Tyson, drafting memoranda and opinions and analyzing a broad range of issues before the North Carolina Court of Appeals. She also interned in the Special and Composite Litigation Divisions at the North Carolina Department of Justice.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Campbell University School of Law, 2020; Campbell Law Review, Managing Editor; American Bar Association Antitrust Law Journal, Staff Member
- B.A., University of North Carolina, 2017
As a civil litigator, Payton has represented:
- A co-packing company in a lawsuit alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and violations of the Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- A leading developer of technology relating to telematics and electronic logging devices used in the commercial trucking industry in a lawsuit alleging infringement of client's patents for electronic logging device technology.
- Beneficiaries in will caveat actions for multi-million dollar estates.
- A point of sale software installation company in a breach of contract action concerning the failure of a business partner to pay.
- Manufacturers in products liability lawsuits involving catastrophic injuries.
Honors and Distinctions*
- "Legal Elite," Business North Carolina, Youg Guns, 2023
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 2020
- South Carolina, 2021
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.