Trip is actively serving as the Chief Executive Officer of an international consumer products company. He remains associated with Ward and Smith in order to assist limited clients and serve the community.
Prior to joining the firm, Trip practiced in the Wilmington office of a large, regional law firm and served two terms as law clerk to the Honorable John R. Jolly, Jr., of the North Carolina Business Court.
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law, 2005. Editor in Chief, Wake Forest Intellectual Property Law Journal, Full Academic Scholarship Recipient.
- B.S., Appalachian State University, 2002. Omicron Delta Kappa.
Honors and Distinctions*
- "The Best Lawyers in America," Best Lawyers®, 2016-2023
- "40 and Under Hot List," Benchmark Litigation, 2018-2020
- "Rising Star," North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2013-2019
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Cameron Art Museum (past Chairman, Board of Trustees)
- City of Wilmington Municipal Services District Task Force (member)
- GLOW Leadership Academy Foundation (board member)
- Greater Wilmington Chamber of Commerce (Leadership Wilmington Alumnus,Class of 2012)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Business Court Rules Advisory Committee (member)
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (member, Port Captain, past presenter)
- Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law (Board of Advisors)
- Wilmington Downtown, Inc. (past officer and director)
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 2005
- Florida, 2008
- Georgia, 2007
- South Carolina, 2008
- All state and federal courts in North Carolina
- All state courts in Florida
- All state courts in Georgia
- All state and federal courts in South Carolina
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
Highlights + Insights
"Spoiler Alert": Amended Federal Rule 37(e) Addresses Standards and Sanctions for the Spoliation of Electronically Stored Information
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.