Bill's practice experience encompasses all areas of creditors' rights and real estate law. He represents clients in connection with the negotiation and preparation of contracts and leases, the development of residential communities and commercial properties, the acquisition of easements, the examination of title to real property, and the closing of commercial loan financing. Bill also provides counsel to borrowers and lenders in the completion of mortgage financing and provides general legal counsel to individual clients, community associations, and business clients, including representation of business clients in the purchase and sale of business interests. He serves as an arbitrator and mediator throughout western North Carolina and is certified by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission to conduct mediated settlement conferences in the Superior Courts in North Carolina and in the Clerk of Superior Court program.
- J.D., The University of North Carolina School of Law, 1972
- B.A., The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1968
Honors and Distinctions*
- "The Best Lawyers in America," Best Lawyers®, 2018 - 2022
- "Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers®, 2019, 2021
Professional and Community Affiliations
- 28th Judicial District Bar (past president)
- Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce (Folk Heritage Committee, member; Leadership Asheville Alumnus, Class IV)
- Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church (Elder)
- North Carolina Bar Association — Sections: Dispute Resolution (council member); co-chair, Clerk's Program Mediation Committee); Real Property
- North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission (Superior Court Mediator Certification)
- Pisgah Legal Services (President; board member)
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 1972
- All state courts in North Carolina
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.