Officeholders and candidates enter politics to perform public service, but also must navigate the complex and ever-changing world of political regulations.
In an era of hyperpolarization, the increased scrutiny on political actors requires constant vigilance and sensitive management. Any misstep may result in injurious press coverage, administrative actions, lawsuits, and even criminal prosecution.
Ward and Smith attorneys advise and represent individuals, organizations, and committees on a variety of political law and campaign finance matters, including:
- Formation of, and compliance for, Internal Revenue Code ("IRC") Section 501(c) advocacy organizations;
- Formation and compliance for IRC 527 political organizations and Super PACs;
- Donor support, campaign contributions, and independent expenditures compliance and reporting;
- Compliance with state and federal campaign finance laws and regulations;
- Representation before state ethics and elections boards; and
- Representation in public corruption investigations and prosecutions.
Successfully navigating the legal issues surrounding campaigns and political activity requires a team of skilled and experienced professionals. Attorneys at Ward and Smith can assist donors, candidates, elected officials, campaigns, interest groups, non-profits, and business entities comply with their obligations so that they can focus on the hard work of democracy.