Mayukh Sircar is a Certified Information Privacy Professional-United States (CIPP/US) who utilizes his keen insights and practical knowledge of privacy and data security law to help clients turn cybersecurity risks into manageable business opportunities. He advises businesses in various industries on developing privacy protection practices, such as the legal requirements and risks associated with the collection, storage, transfer, use, protection, and data disposal. He also counsels clients on structuring and operationalizing privacy compliance programs, data breach response and planning, contract and vendor management, and licensing and technology transactions.
Mayukh provides clients with comprehensive coverage of local, state, federal, and international laws governing privacy and data security, including the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act (GLBA), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA).
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 2018
- M.S. in Physiology and Biophysics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 2013
- B.S., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US), International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), 2023
Mayukh's Privacy and Data Security experience includes:
- Advise and counsel clients on data privacy requirements and compliance (e.g., GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, US-legal compliance).
- Prepare and negotiate data privacy and security agreements (e.g., data processing agreement, business associate agreements).
Mayukh's Technology experience includes:
- Prepare various agreements to effectuate intellectual property transactions (e.g., licensing agreements; assignment of intellectual property).
Honors and Distinctions*
The Tick Salivary Protein Sialostatin L2 Inhibits Caspase-1-Mediated Inflammation during Anaplasma phagocytophilum Infection. Authors: Chen G, Wang X, Severo MS, Sakhon OS, Sohail M, Brown LJ, Sircar M, Snyder GA, Sundberg EJ, Ulland TK, Olivier AK, Andersen JF, Guo-Ping Shi YZ, Sutterwala FS, Kotsyfakis M, and Pedra JHF. Infection and Immunity, 2014
Oncogenic PI3K mutations lead to NF-KB-dependent cytokine expression following growth factor deprivation. Authors: Hutti JE, Pfefferle AD, Russell SC, Sircar M, Perou CM, Baldwin AS. Cancer Research, 2012
Trafficking and proteolytic processing of RNF-13, a model PA-TM-RING family endosomal membrane ubiquitin ligase. Authors: Bocock JP, Carmicle S, Sircar M, Erickson AH. FEBS Journal, 2010
Isolation of monoclonal antibody fragments specific for Discoidin Domain Receptor-1 from a phage library. Poster presentation in the field of microbiology at Spring Science Festival National Cancer Institute – Fort Detrick, Frederick, Maryland, May 2007
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Served as Student Attorney General of the Graduate and Professional Honor System while at the University of North Carolina ("UNC") School of Law
- Pro bono volunteer for Southeast Asia Community Immigration Fair
- Pro bono volunteer for the UNC Cancer Project
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 2018
You hate to tell people that you stumbled into your profession, but in truth, I did. I am fortunate that I landed just where I belonged.
I started out planning to be a doctor, and did quite a bit of work towards becoming a medical practitioner. You will see my published studies on my bio because sometimes my clients enjoy "nerding" out with me on my research topics. But as time went on, I became really interested not only in the research itself, but how good ideas get into production, and the various licensing and tech agreements that bring those good ideas into fruition.
In a nutshell, I see developing, collaborating on, and sharing technology and data as key ingredients in our society's ability to turn good ideas into a better life for all. Now, I'm just doing my part!
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
Highlights + Insights
On the Grid: Data and Privacy Protection Act
Going Once, Going Twice, Sold: Real Time Bidding Data Privacy Breach
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.