Sports, tourism, and recreation businesses need solid advice and counsel to pull ahead in their active and competitive industry.
With offices in the mountains, on the coast, and in between, our experienced attorneys are passionate about and serving our leisure and tourism industry clients. Whether it’s kite-surfing or trail running, softball tournaments or food and wine weekends, camping in the backcountry or racing a triathlon, our attorneys are personally committed to growing North Carolina's tourism, sports and recreation businesses. We have the personal and professional experience to help sports and recreation clients minimize risk, protect employees, and help their businesses soar.
Our attorneys provide practical, decisive, and useful legal counsel to a variety of businesses in the sports, parks, outdoor recreation, and tourism industries. We represent equipment manufacturers, retailers, summer camps, adventure companies, non-profit organizations, hotel owners, event and festival organizers, sports commissions, and sports clubs. We have the knowledge and experience to assist clients with the countless unique issues in the space.
For example, we have advised:
- Outdoor camping and equipment manufacturers on trademark, patent, and copyright issues, including how to protect their intellectual property and brand.
- Overnight summer camps on general and premises liability issues and employment matters.
- Triathlon and race organizers and festival organizers on intellectual property issues, local permitting and alcohol beverage permitting, insurance, and land use issues.
- Gear and equipment manufacturers on business and tax matters, including issues relating to domestic and overseas manufacturing and distribution.
- Camping and other adventure outfitters on current activity at the North Carolina General Assembly that is relevant to or may impact their business and assistance in lobbying for those clients' interests.
- A bicycle component company on entity formation and commercial lending facilities.
- A regional soccer club on entity formation, agreement with local authorities on use of stadium facilities, licensing and sponsorship agreements, and event and game permitting issues.
- A regional sports commission on contracting for major sporting events and employment and governance issues.
- We have represented manufacturers of outdoor gear - in and out of court - in the enforcement of patent rights against infringers selling knock-offs of their designs. We have also defended businesses from liability issues arising from an outdoor sports and music festival.
Other relevant experience includes:
- Employee stock ownership plans ("ESOPs")
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Liability waivers, risk management, and crisis management
- Employee training, handbooks, and contracts
- ADA compliance
- License agreements and distribution agreements
- Event Sponsorship and Equipment Leasing Agreements
- Lease negotiation, real estate purchase, zoning and permitting
- Lobbying and Economic Development
- Succession planning
Our attorneys have experience in all legal areas relevant to outdoor, hospitality, or recreation businesses. We regularly work with government officials at the local, state, and national levels on matters concerning real estate, the environment, land use and permitting, and economic development. We also help clients with employee relations, litigation, tax issues, benefits, contracts, and general business needs. Our intellectual property practice helps outdoor clients protect their brands, patents, trademarks, and copyrights every day.
If you need assistance to start, grow, or protect your destination venue, annual event, outdoor company, camp, club, or concert, we can help.
We are your established legal network with offices in Asheville, Greenville, New Bern, Raleigh, and Wilmington, NC.