We've weathered literal storms, such as Hurricane Florence, but nothing quite like the speed and scope of the coronavirus pandemic.
Through it all, we have been honored to help our clients, businesses, and communities navigate these treacherous waters.
Leadership that Counts
Serving on a board is one of the many ways Ward and Smith attorneys have become an integral part of solving problems and leading entities out of choppy seas. Several attorneys were newly-elected or appointed to a board of directors in 2020.
Most notably, attorney Hugh Overholt was reappointed to the North Carolina Board of Transportation in September. In the past, Hugh has been appointed to the Board of Transportation by Democratic and Republican governors, specifically Governors Bev Perdue, Pat McCrory, and Roy Cooper, and now by Speaker Tim Moore. Hugh has served on the board since 2009, and has helped meet transportation needs across the state.
Other attorneys newly-elected to a board of directors in 2020 include:
- Adam Beaudoin – North Carolina Chapter of the Community Association Institute Board of Directors
- Richard Crow – Wilmington Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Peter von Stein – Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Jeremy Wilson – North Carolina Advocates for Justice Board of Governors
Ward and Smith's efforts to help clients, individuals, and businesses through these uncertain times extended beyond the boardroom. In 2020, our attorneys were routinely featured in news magazines, blogs, and podcasts, often diving deeper into complex, hot topic issues. Surprisingly, not everything was COVID-related.
Attorney Ken Bart partnered with Ward and Smith Business Consulting's Hank Harris for a Q&A featured in the Wilmington Business Journal. The duo gave businesses valuable insights on strategizing for a post-pandemic environment.
Despite the disruptiveness, the pandemic may have changed how we do business, but not our commitment to helping our clients get where they need to go.
In March, during the state's stay-at-home-orders, Ward and Smith attorneys worked with client Transportation Impact to close a deal with The Jordan Company as its new equity partner. Read more.
And in September, Personal injury attorney Charles Ellis secured a $3.04 million verdict for a North Carolina man injured in a tractor-trailer collision in Pennsylvania. The trial was held virtually "in which the judge, attorneys, parties, and witnesses were all scattered along the east coast." Read more.
We don't do what we do for the accolades, but we are grateful and honored by the recognition from our clients and peers.
Additionally, in 2020, we had:
- 41 attorneys named to "Best Lawyers in America;"
- 25 attorneys named as a "Super Lawyer" or "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers;
- 12 attorneys selected as Legal Elites by Business North Carolina;
- 5 attorneys selected for inclusion on Benchmark Litigation's "40 & Under Hot List;"
- 3 attorneys recognized as "Labor and Employment Stars;"
- 2 attorneys honored in the World Trademark Review;
- 1 attorney named as a "Future Star" by Benchmark Litigation;
- 1 attorney considered a 2020 "Go To Thought Leader" by the National Law Review; and,
- 1 attorney named to the "40 Under 40 Leadership Award" list by the Triangle Business Journal
And we were thrilled when Ward and Smith's PPP Loan Forgiveness Maximizer won second place in the Southeast Region's Legal Marketing Association "Your Honor Awards." The firm was named runner up in the "Innovative Use of Software, Technology, and Other Platforms" category, and was up against firms more than ten times our size.
Although 2020 was a very challenging year for all of us, we have faith that our clients, communities, and regions will rebound from this experience, stronger and more united than before. We look forward to continuing to work by your side as we navigate what's to come in the New Year.
© 2023 Ward and Smith, P.A. For further information regarding the issues described above, please contact .
This article is not intended to give, and should not be relied upon for, legal advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. No action should be taken in reliance upon the information contained in this article without obtaining the advice of an attorney.