Michael's practice is limited to corporate matters, including mergers, stock and asset acquisitions, corporate restructuring, licensing and commercialization, corporate governance, debt and equity financings, and day-to-day contract negotiation. He has also advised emerging growth businesses, public companies, and investment firms in a broad range of industries, including technology, life sciences, manufacturing, and education.
In addition, Michael has experience in the contractual side of information security law, having negotiated dozens of agreements with Fortune 50 companies in connection with a blockchain-based supply chain management service. His practice is grounded in the belief that effective counsel begins with a deep understanding of each client's business and vision.
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 2016
- B.A., Germanic Studies, University of Michigan, 2013
- Represented the venture arm of a prominent Southeast Asian country, co-leading review and analysis of all investment and deal documents in seven transactions ranging from $20m to $150m.
- Incorporated and represented a startup in the blockchain-based supply chain management industry in negotiating a partnership agreement with a Fortune 50 company, and onboarding numerous Fortune 100 companies to the startup’s blockchain network.
- Represented a seller in the technology industry in a merger with a Brazilian financial services company.
- Represented a seller in the email marketing technology industry in a merger with a New Jersey corporation.
- Represented a Durham venture capital fund in leading a series seed investment round.
- Represented a Kentucky startup in the agricultural technology industry with respect to a SAFE (“Simple Agreement for Future Equity”) raise.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association: Science and Technology Law, Intellectual Property Law, and Business Law sections
- Young Lawyers of Durham section of the Durham County Bar Association: Administrative Division Director, 2017-2019
- Rotaract Club of Durham, President, 2017-2019
Admitted to Practice
North Carolina, 2016
Highlights + Insights
Pandemic Drives New Litigation Practices, Bankruptcy Trends, and Political Forecast
The Impact of COVID-19 on M&A Transactions
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.