Leigh's practice experience encompasses a broad range of health care law matters, including structuring medical practice formations, mergers, purchases, sales, and alliances; advising health care providers on health care regulatory (fraud and abuse, HIPAA, Stark, anti-kickback, EMTALA, and antitrust) and reimbursement issues; structuring health care joint ventures; negotiating and drafting contracts; and drafting key compliance policies and procedures. Her experience also encompasses a broad range of business law matters, from start-up businesses to transactional matters.
- J.D., The University of North Carolina School of Law, 1985
- B.S., magna cum laude, North Carolina State University, 1982
- Representation of client in audit, calculation and refund of Medicare and other payor overpayments exceeding $500,000
- Representation of medical practice in developing diagnostic imaging joint venture with hospital
- Representation of retiring physician in negotiating the buy-out of his ownership interest in the practice and the entity that owned the practice's office locations
- Representation of medical practice in sale of assets to and simultaneous employment of physicians by hospital
- Representation of medical practice in Medicare appeal of overpayment determination through Administrative Law Judge Hearing level
- Representation of hospital medical staff in credentialing, grievance and disciplinary actions involving physicians
Honors and Distinctions*
- "The Best Lawyers in America," Best Lawyers®, 2010-2022
- North Carolina Bar Association Citizen Lawyer Award, 2013
- North Carolina District East Civitan, Carlie B. Sessoms Memorial Award, Civitan of the Decade, 2014
Professional and Community Affiliations
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Civitan International (Region Three Director 2015-2017)
- Coastal Women's Forum (charter member; past president and director)
- Medical Group Management Association
- New Bern Area Chamber of Commerce (past board chairperson)
- North Carolina Bar Association — Sections: Business Law; Health Law
- North Carolina District East of Civitan International (governor 2010-2011)
- North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys
- North Carolina State University College of Sciences Foundation (past board chairperson)
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina, 1985
- All state courts in North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
A quote that inspires me is "We have been given it all to give it all away!"
The best thing about Ward and Smith is the people - our attorneys and staff and our clients.
* Please see the following websites for an explanation of the membership standards for the following recognitions: www.bestlawyers.com; businessnc.com/special-sections/legal-elite/; and www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina.
Highlights + Insights
The CARES Act and the Healthcare Industry
It's 2016: Do You Know Where Your Medical Records Are?
An attorney‑client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement. The content of any unsolicited email sent to Ward and Smith, P.A., or to any of its attorneys at an email address available on this website, will not create an attorney‑client relationship and the contents of such unsolicited email shall not be considered confidential. Therefore, do not use this website or the email addresses available on this website to provide confidential information about yourself or a legal matter to Ward and Smith or any of its attorneys.